Fr. Bloomfield's Blog

I am a Roman Catholic Priest of the Archdiocese of Detroit, currently assigned to Divine Child Parish in Dearborn, Michigan. When I manage to keep the page updated, hopefully something interesting can be found here!

Sunday, July 24, 2005

"Faith Seeking Understanding" for July 23-24

“Faith Seeking Understanding”

While thinking about a title for my weekly column, I stumbled upon “Faith Seeking Understanding.” St. Anselm coined this phrase (fides quærens intellectum) in the 11th century to describe theology: reason exploring the truths of Revelation. Beginning with the unchanging truths of the Faith, as revealed by Christ and taught by His Church, theological study allows us to apply the Truth to our lives and helps us pursue holiness by conforming to God’s Will.

This year, we have been celebrating the Year of the Eucharist. The Blessed Sacrament is the single greatest support we have in seeking understanding, because It is the Source and Goal of our Faith. Jesus Christ, substantially present in the Eucharist, waits for us in the tabernacle. Developing regular prayer time is important, but prayer is even more effective and fruitful when we spend it before the Real Presence of our Lord.

As I begin my assignment here at St. John Neumann, I look forward to continuing my own journey of Faith, particularly in the worship of the Blessed Sacrament in this Holy Year of the Eucharist. May God bless you all!