Fr. Bloomfield's Blog

I am a Roman Catholic Priest of the Archdiocese of Detroit, currently assigned to Divine Child Parish in Dearborn, Michigan. When I manage to keep the page updated, hopefully something interesting can be found here!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Requiescat in Pace

This afternoon, my uncle called to let me know that my cousin, Major Gerald Bloomfield, USMC, was killed this morning along with his co-pilot in a helicopter crash near Ramadi, Iraq. I got the message just before I celebrated the Mass for All Souls, which was then offered on his behalf.

We are deeply saddened by our loss, but I am immesurably proud of my cousin and his sacrifice for our great nation and the Iraqi people. Especially today, as we implore heaven for mercy on the souls of the faithful departed, I pray that our indulgenced prayers may help Gerald speedily reach the fullness of the Beatific Vision. Please pray for the repose of his soul and for the consolation of our family.

Semper Fidelis, cousin Ger. Requiescat in pace.